Long working hours and a hectic day could never be fun! Ever imagined getting back late from work and ending up the day with a tremendous pain in buttocks when sitting?
Sounds horrible right? When you sit at a place for long hours, you may face numbness or lack of blood circulation. This will redirect to piriformis syndrome. Data and stats from all over the world suggest that over 60% of working people may face piriformis syndrome at least once in a month.
Is there a way you can get relief from this even after sitting for long hours?
Of Course there is!
No need to panic at all if you are facing a bit of pain on your lower back or just on your piriformis muscles. Here is a quick guide on how to sit with piriformis syndrome which you can jiff up to give yourself an easy day.
Piriformis Syndrome is basically a situation where you may experience unbearable pain just underneath your piriformis muscles. It is situated near the buttock region which helps to stabilize the hip joint.
If you are feeling Piriformis Syndrome, it may become unbearable under many circumstances. As a result, it may create numbness or may lead you to suffer from inactivity. The exact reason on why you are facing this problem may be unknown to everyone.
However, most people do say that the real reason behind Piriformis could be mainly because of inactivity or even overexertion. The pain might tend to increase as you get down to a sitting position.
Getting over this pain instantly won’t be easy. But if you are determined to slowly reduce the pain, you can obviously look out for options that will help you to get easy sitting posture.
How To Sit With Piriformis Syndrome ?
Step 1: Get Ergonomic Chairs
- The best way to get relief from Piriformis while you are sitting may just be because of the ergonomic chair available with you.
- Ergonomic chairs are built to deliver you a fine comfort with lower and back muscles. They have precise cushioning systems that help you to get easy flowing movement inside the chair.
- When you are purchasing a new ergonomic chair, make sure that it has proper backrest along with cushions that are adjacent to your buttocks.
- The seat width must be adequate which will help you to get an amazing seating under comfortable space. Be specific about the cushions and try to opt for the ones that have a concave base.
Step 2: Take Breaks
- It is never okay to sit on your chair continuously. If you keep sitting on a stipulated place for hours, blood circulation will obviously stop and it will immediately result in an increase of pain. This is why most orthopaedics do recommend people to take frequent breaks after sitting.
- Even if you are not being able to take breaks and leave the room, continuous changing of positions is always a good sign. According to multiple researches, sitting for too long will cause your pelvic muscles to be weak and numb.
- It will also result in unwanted strains. You will have to manually make changes to your sitting positions while attending a meeting or working in your office.
Step 3: Learn To Sit Properly
- Your sitting posture determines whether you will be able to get relief from Piriformis syndrome or not. Infact, it is also one of the main reasons why you may trigger Piriformis syndrome. Thus, it is always better to avoid some sitting positions.
- A good practice of sitting properly not only reduces the pain, but it also increases the body productivity. As a result, you would work better and also provide better concentration and health. The right way to sit properly is to sit upright.
- Too much leaning on the desk or on your back may slowly lead to minor pain. Always try to sit upright which will help you to be comfortable throughout. Keeping your legs at proper positions will also relieve pressure off your hamstring.
Step 4: Offer Some Exercises
- Although it is an unconventional method to get rid of this problem, some exercises may turn out to be a stress buster. A good practise of exercising, not only keeps your body fit, but it also relaxes your mind.
- After working for 10 hours in a day, your muscle joints may feel a high level of strain. This may increase chances for having piriformis syndrome much more. Considering some typical exercises like gluteal stretch will always help you to get an amazing result.
- You can always make out time for some exercises and move around. Doing these exercises will always help you to make your gluteal muscles much more elastic.
Step 5: Apply Heat Therapy
- Allowing some typical stress busters on your back will only give you a better time. Remember that with higher levels of productivity and continuous sitting you need proper blood circulation.
- Applying heat could be an easy solution to get rid of the buttock pain when sitting. You can buy a small heating pad and warm up your muscles easily. It is a better alternative than using pain relieves gel and getting out of the box.
- A quick 15- minute session of heat therapy could do wonders to your lower back muscles.
- A few rounds of exercise just before this therapy could be very relieving as well.
Take out 10 minutes of time after a few hours of work. If you have a busy schedule, you can also perform piriformis exercises on your break time. However, create a regular habit of doing these exercises to help you serve better.
Piriformis syndrome may be a common problem which you are dealing with in your regular life. Ignoring a small bit of pain even while you are working or dealing with daily hassles could lead to a big blunder. The pain may increase to an uncontrollable level which will force you to quit work. But with these tips in place, you will be able to get a quick relief from sore buttocks when sitting.
Similar to this there is another back pain problem that arises by sitting for long hours. It is sciatica, we have also written an article on how to sit comfortably with sciatica.
We hope we did justice to the topic how to sit with piriformis syndrome. Let us know if you face some other problems in the comments below.