How To Sit In Office Chair To Avoid Neck Pain?
Neck pain is a common problem that most people complain about. There are many reasons behind neck pain; in which the wrong posture is a significant one, which is usually due to sitting for a long time. If you have to sit in your office chair in the workplace for an extended period of time for your professional work, you should follow the proper sitting posture.
Your wrong sitting posture may make you experience neck pain. The poor back support of an office chair can also cause neck and back pain. However, everyone wants to get rid of this neck pain issue. We will tell you how to sit in office chair to avoid neck pain because incorrect sitting posture contributes a lot to your neck pain issue.
Why Is Good Posture Important While Sitting?
Good posture is essential, as the wrong posture while sitting can cause problems for your back and neck. The most effective way to self-manage neck pain is to prevent excessive stretching and tension of the tissues in your neck, back, wrists, and forearms. Once neck pain occurs, the wrong sitting posture makes the condition worse and a long-term problem.
Hence, whenever you sit on a chair, follow the correct posture. The wrong sitting posture is considered when your head is facing forward in front of the shoulders. This stretches and strains the tissues, which causes pain and stiffness.
how to sit in office chair to avoid neck pain?
As bad posture is one of the main reasons for neck pain, your first step would be to improve your posture. You need to treat the problem on a daily basis. Whenever sitting on a chair, always sit straight. Most people give importance to sitting straight while sitting on a chair and follow the posture of sitting straight for some time, but then they get into the habit of bending.
If you have this habit, you have to give it up. The tradition of sitting straight on the chair will have to be maintained throughout the day and every day. A good set-up of your chair and back support should be set up so that you naturally feel comfortable in the correct position of a neutral lumbar spine when sitting on the chair.
Here are some options for office chairs for neck support. These are the chairs one should buy to avoid consistent neck pain. Sitting with correct postures in these chairs might relief you from neck pain.
Good Postures You Can Follow When Sitting In Your Office Chair
- To put your lumbar spine in a neutral position, push all the way back in your chair toward the backrest.
- It may be a good idea to keep a small roll on your back for better comfort.
- Sit straight on the chair and move your head back to ensure your head rests on the shoulders.
Good Posture While Sitting In A Bigger Chair
- If you find that the seat is so deep that it is difficult to push your hips back, one thing you can do is to drive too far back on the chair, but don’t straighten your knees while doing so.
- Add a cushion in the seat to cover the distance between the back and the backrest.
- If you’re having trouble keeping your feet on the floor after scooting back, it’s best to use a footrest.
Set Up Your Desk To Prevent Neck Pain
Developing good posture is not enough to prevent neck pain; it is also vital to set up your workspace correctly to treat issues like neck pain and carpal tunnel syndrome. Your position is associated with neck pain when you work at your desk. Follow the sitting posture to get rid of neck pain.
1. Ergonomic Desk Chair Position
- Your chair should be designed with a backrest and armrest.
- It will be even better if your chair has good lumbar support.
- Adjust chair height and armrest height to match your size.
- Your feet need to touch the floor. If you are shorter than average height, use a desk foot rest under the chair.
- Align the armrests with the height of the desk.
2. Shoulder, Arm And Wrist Position While Sitting
- Let your shoulders relax.
- Keep your forearms parallel to the floor.
- There should be only minimal bend at the wrists.
3. Perfect Computer Monitor Height
- Customize the height of your desk and PC to ensure the computer screen is at your eye level.
- It would be better to tilt your computer monitor slightly.
- Adjust your position to make sure your monitor is between 18 inches.
how to sit in office chair to avoid neck pain? [Conclusion]
Continuously working on the computer for more time also links the neck pain. That is why you get up from the chair every hour and relax your back and neck. While looking at the computer screen, repeatedly obstruct the position of your fixed neck. Also, avoid looking at the mobile by keeping your neck in a tilted position for a long time. Keep shaking the neck in between.
- How To Sit In A Kneeling Chair?: An Easy And Simple Guide 
- Best Sitting Position For Scoliosis: How To Sit Comfortably With Scoliosis? [May 2023]
- How To Sit With A Fractured Vertebrae? A Detailed Guide [May 2023 Updated]
- How To Stop Bum Hurting When Sitting? [6 Effective Treatments in 2023]
- How To Solve X Rocker Chair Sound Problems? [6 Quick-Fixes]
I am an Interior Designer and founder of MyComfortHaven.com. Love for ergonomics and content creation made me pivot my career from interior designing to writing.
I like to write compelling, well-researched, and unique content about how commonplace things like chairs can greatly impact pain relief and productivity.