Is your chair getting too low for your comfort? If your chair is not tall enough, you may end up facing multiple problems while sitting or reaching out to your desk.
If you are sitting in such a posture for longer hours, then it may just get you more pain in the back or your forearms.
Replacing the chair with a taller one may not be a feasible option. Hence, try to opt for making adjustments to your chair. Here are few tips which you can follow to make your chair taller.
How To Make A Chair Taller? [7 Best Ways]
1. Replace the Casters
The best thing that you can do is to replace the casters. If your chair already has some existing casters, you can replace it simply with bigger ones. Here are the few steps that you can follow.
The goal is to replace the casters with bigger ones which will provide you an additional lift. Place the chair in a stable surface.
With the help of drivers, you can take out the old casters and then keep them aside. Make sure that you do not twist the casters easily.
Now it is time for you to replace the older casters with newer ones. You can get an additional 1-2 inch list by replacing them with bigger ones.
Here is a detailed article on putting wheels on a chair. Kindly have a look at it. It will help you in replacing the caster wheels with the bigger ones.
2. Cushion To Raise Seat Height
If you do not want to get your hands in the mess, a better option would be to let the chair be alone. Instead, you can simply work on the cushion. This is probably one of the most comfortable ways by which you can raise the height and attain a compatible position.
The benefit of adding a new cushion to your chair is that it becomes removable and you can change it when not in use. It becomes helpful in case of both shorter and taller people. You can simply follow the manuals to attach the cushion to the chair with some straps.
3. Gas Lift Cylinder
Hydraulics is a great way by which you can increase the height of any chair. However, before you go on to install any Gas Lift Cylinder, you must understand about the mechanism.
The standard length of any Gas Lift Cylinder is around 5 inches and you can easily lift it up by another 5 inches. You can simply follow these steps mentioned below to install Gas Lift Cylinder.
The first thing that you need to do is to raise the height of the chair. Make sure that you have attained the maximum height. You can now flip the chair upside down.
The next thing that you need to do is to detach the cylinder from the base. If you find this a bit hard, you can use a hammer to create a separation.
Now you will have to create a separation between the tilting mechanisms. You can use a simple pipe wrench and then fasten it with the metal part of the cylinder.
Now it is time to replace the cylinder with a new one. Once you are done with the attachment, you can bring the chair back to the original position.
4. Drafting Stool Kit
A simple option that you can do is to use a Drafting Stool Kit. This device should be installed right into the base of the chair.
Most of the office chairs have an attaining height of almost 16 to 21 inches. You can get a lift of almost 9 inches or more.
5. Paper Towels
If you want to get a height more than the gas cylinder, then you can take the help of paper towels. Add some towels down the cylinder which will raise chair height more. Some paper towels might actually come handy for your use. Here are the steps below which you can follow:
1. The first thing that you need to do is to detach the spring section of the cylinder. Locate the column and then you can take it out.
2. The next thing that you need to do is to fill the column with the paper towels. You need to make sure that you leave no free space which will provide a compact suspension.
3. Once you are done with this, you will have to consider in placing the spring back which will keep it much useful.
6. Wooden Blocks
A simple alternative would be to use wooden blocks. Instead of the rolling casters, you can simply take the help of wooden blocks at the base off the caster. You can follow these steps below:
1. The first thing that you need to do is to remove the original casters which are present at the base which should fit in the base of the chair.
2. You will now be able to attach the blocks at the base. The right things that you need to do is to look for the prong platform to attach the blocks.
3. The next thing is to drill 11mm holes all around the lags of the base and get the right result. You need to make sure that you can get the right result.
This method is also used to raise desk height.
7. Add Aluminum Foil
Another alternative that you can do is to add an aluminum foil. Here are some seats which can ride low and provide a detailed result.
Because of weight distribution, it is important to have the right inspection before you notice any problems with the cylinder column. You can follow these steps:
1. The first thing that you need to do is to detach the base of the cylinder.
2. Now you will have to look for the aluminum sheet. Make sure that you fill the cylinder with the sheet by giving it a proper shape.
3. The next thing that you need to do is to look for lining the hole. You need to make sure that you can get the right diameter of the hole. You can re-insert the gas cylinder o the original position.
You may often find some chairs which do not move much. This may include some dining room chairs or other chairs which have a stiff swivel and do not tend to move much. Some of them might even have rigid casters which block their movement.
You need to be very careful while dealing with such products. Make sure that the legs of such chairs have a space for making a hollow. It is better to opt for a soft caster which can protect the hardwood floor and also not cost any damage to the chair as well.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Q1. How high should your office chair be?
A1. The perfect height depends on a number of factors which includes your desk height and also your body height. However, it is important to find a standard adjustment which will be right for any office chair. The best height for you to get is 16 to 21 inches off the floor.
Q2. Should my desk be higher than my chair?
A2. The perfect sitting posture should indicate that your forearm stays at an angle of 90 degrees with your shoulder.
If your desk is too high or low, the perfect posture will not be maintained. Make sure that you do not lower the chair because it will then start hurting your knees.
For more information, you can refer to this article on standard desk height.
Q3. Are Plastic risers good for raising chair height?
A3. Plastic risers are a good option if you want to adjust the height of the chair to a certain level. But they come with some cons. The maximum weight capacities of plastic risers are always a certain doubt. It is better if you use plastic risers only for kids.
Making your chair taller is not a difficult task. However, it is important to follow all of these steps mentioned above which will help you to get the right adjustments. Measurements are important which will help you to get the accurate height for your needs.
If you do not have direct height adjustment option for your chair, you can use these steps mentioned above. If you are not a pro at fixing attachments to your chair, consider in asking help from an expert which might prevent you from getting hurt while doing the steps. We hope this article must have answered your question in mind, how to make a chair taller.
- Can You Get Scoliosis From Bad Posture? A Comprehensive Analysis [2023 Updated]
- Can Scoliosis Cause Hip Pain? Everything You Need To Know [2023 June]
- Best Sitting Position For Scoliosis: How To Sit Comfortably With Scoliosis? [May 2023]
- Can Scoliosis Cause Sciatica? A Complete Examination [2023 Updated]
- Zero Gravity Chair Locking Mechanism: An In-Depth Overview [2023 Updated]
I am an Interior Designer and founder of MyComfortHaven.com. Love for ergonomics and content creation made me pivot my career from interior designing to writing.
I like to write compelling, well-researched, and unique content about how commonplace things like chairs can greatly impact pain relief and productivity.